Friday, July 24, 2009

Pioneer Day

So today is Pioneer Day for all of us Utahns which is great because it means a vacation day for so many of us. We decided to celebrate the pioneers by going on an 8 hour hike as a tribute to their hard work. Ok, we actually did it because my brother-in-law Dave called us up yesterday to see if we would be up for hiking Mt. Timpanogos. We were all for it. Little did we realize what we were getting ourselves into. We got up at 3:30 so we could be at April and Dave's by 4:30 am. After piling in the car and a winding drive we began our hike at 5:40 am. (This is the only way to do this hike by the way. Do not try and do it in the middle of the day, it is just not worth the pain you will have to endure.) We hiked about 13 miles total and my body is now so tired. Now that I think about it, this was a great way to celebrate Pioneer Day. I am so grateful for them and what they endured. I don't know how they crossed the plains and came to the Salt Lake Valley except that they couldn't have done it without exceptional faith.

The hike was so beautiful and probably my favorite I've ever done because of the many many wild flowers, rocks, snow, and waterfalls. I wish the computer would recognize my camera so I could download the pics we took, but for now these will have to give you an idea of the hike.






1 comment:

RhubarbLady said...

So beautiful-glad you were up to the hike. The new floor looks beautiful-we (mostly my dad) painted the basement for pioneer day. The pioneers would have needed to clean off the soot from the winter coal fires and painted occasionally too.