Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Ok, I did make it back

Hi Everyone I just thought I would let you know that I did make it back from D.C. It was an amazing trip and a real eye opener for me. We got to go to the VA Hospital and meet veterans and nurses and doctors who worked with the "War Related Injuries and Illnesses Study Center" or WRIISC. That was interesting and we learned alot about Traumatic Brain Injuries and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

We also got to go to the Walter Reed Army Medical Center and listened to panels of nurses who have been in the field, as well as visit ward 57 which is a well known ward for recently and not so recently injured vets. It was humbling to see so many young men who had sacrificed so much. If you don't know what I mean, please see the post below.

One thing that amazed me about this hospital was that it had such top-of-the-line technology. Also all the nurses tried to recruit us into the Army. If I wasn't married and didn't plan on having a family I would have considered it. The Army does seem to have some perks. I'm glad that I don't have to make that decision though, and that others have chosen that path.

We also got to tour D.C. and got private tours of the Pentagon and of the Capital building. Someday I would like to take my family back to D.C. for a vacation. The transportation is easy and all 19 of the Smithsonians are free, not to mention the amazing monuments. D.C. has some pretty neat history behind it as well.



The Lincoln Memorial was amazing. It is so much bigger in real life. Next to me are my good nursing buddies Melanie and Angelynn.


The tomb of the Unknown Soldier was a very solemn and humbling site. There is a guard 24/7 365 days a year. The men guarding it show so much respect. It is one of the highest honors to guard this tomb. One interesting fact is that one way of showing respect is for the guard to prepare their uniform the day before which takes a whooping 8 hours!


Another interesting fact I learned on this trip is that the Arlington National Cemetery was orriginally land owned by Confederate General Robert E. Lee. This is his house.


Did I mention that I got to meet Obama? Ok, he's just a cut out at the Obama store, but I couldn't resist.
I especially liked this monument which is part of the Vietnam memorial. This is a tribute to all the nurses of Vietnam. It is very symbolic and though you can only see 2, there are three nurses each representing Faith, Hope, and Charity. (Please forgive my tired appearance. This was the end of a long and busy day).

At the Smithsonian. How can I resist getting a picture of the evil Red Coat pilaging a home?


The WWII memorial with the Lincoln Memorial behind.
Don't I look set to work for the Department of Defense at the Pentagon? No? This was amusing because you are not allowed to take any pictures at the Pentagon except in this little corner by the gift shop where they set up this fake podium.

No comments: